Mater Dei High School

Opinion: Target’s new restroom policy

Target combated the wave of anti-transgender legislation being passed all around the country lately by enforcing a policy that allows “transgender team members and guests to use the restroom or fitting room facility that corresponds with their gender identity,” according to Target’s official announcement. Better yet, this policy includes every Target in the United States, which is nearing 1,800 stores.

“This policy allows me to use the restroom that I feel I’ll be comfortable and safe in,” said 20-year-old Joss Echavarri, a transgender male. “With all the problems I’ve had in the past trying to use the women’s restroom, it’s just a lot easier to use the men’s restroom.”

In a Facebook post with over 27,000 likes, a transgender Target employee named Maxwell Jamison exposes the hateful comments he receives on a daily basis and explains why the new bathroom policy is so vital to the safety and comfort of trans people.

“Know that for every negative thought some bigot has had about us, there are other gender dismantling folks out there standing up for our right to use whatever restroom we please, in Target, in restaurants, in shopping malls, wherever,” wrote Jamison.

Unfortunately, even though this feels like great news, Target’s support for trans inclusive restrooms has been under the attack of Christian conservative group, American Family Association (AFA).

“There’s no evidence of that ever happening in the past, so there’s no basis for their fear,” said Kayden Strauss, a 16-year-old transgender male. “I personally think they’re basically pulling it out of thin air.”

“They’re afraid of grown men being in the bathroom with their daughters. But that’s the thing, it’s not grown men being in the bathroom with their daughters, it would be grown women,” says Echavarri.

Thanks to Target, transgender people gave just gained almost 1,800 places where it’s safe to use the restroom.

“Everyone deserves to feel like they belong,” the company emphasized in its public announcement.

Why should the transgender community be denied a basic human right?

“Bathrooms and changing rooms are something that everyone should feel safe and comfortable using,” said Riley Lynch, a 16-year-old non-binary transgender person.

I couldn’t agree more with those in favor of Target’s trans inclusive restroom policy. Even with some backlash, this has been awesome and progressive news, and it’s great to see the transgender community and its allies come together to move forward as a society.

• Reply MRC May 18, 2016 at 7:21 pm

National Plumbing Code define the Men’s Rooms and Women Room as Restroom Facilities for those geneder and ADA compliance Act require handicapped facility for both.
    Difference between two facility is that there are Urinals ( you know for what) in Men’s room; Women’s rooms are larger as they have for Lavatory and sometimes bench or chair.
    Transgender men can not utilize women toilet as there is no urinal.
    They should have one more Restroom Listed as Unisex ( only Lavatory and Sink with ADA compliance).
    Many healthcare facilities have this..
    Protection of Women and young girls are at risk to allow so called transgender, as there are more perverts then transgender in this world.
    There are many cases recently the perverts are taking pictures and video in department stores and other public places.
    For 4to 6% transgender forcing 85% of majority in changing the way of live is most ridiculous and outrageous !!!!!

• Reply Michael Swanson May 19, 2016 at 8:36 am

Its more like Transgenders are .0001% of the population. Not enough of a group to change laws and our way of life about. Just democrats using the newest wave of brainwashed high school writers to write about issues such as this to hide the fact Obama hasn’t done any good in years.

• Reply George Lynley May 18, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Can we stop calling it “the bathroom”? A bathroom is in a private home. There are several other nouns that can be used for a public facility, such as “the toilet”, which the rest of the English-speaking world calls it, or”the lavatory’, or “the restroom”, which we called it until very recently.

• Reply Krysia Szczepanska May 18, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Why does that bother you? It’s a bathroom not a lavatory.

• Reply Michael Swanson May 19, 2016 at 8:37 am

Bathroom implies there is a bath. Hence why we call half baths, half baths or powder rooms

• Reply Linda Wells May 18, 2016 at 8:12 pm

What about the safety of women when so called “women” start sharing the womens’ bathroom”? How do you know they’re not just dressing like women to molest women or girls? How can you guarantee their safety? This is all ridiculous. Just let them go to the bathroom of the gender in which they were born.

• Reply M.e. Berkshire May 19, 2016 at 7:57 am

Because this isn’t a new thing Linda, you’ve been going to the public restroom with transgender women all your life. What you suddenly think transgender women have been holding it in all this time in protest?

Liked by 1 person

• Reply Michael Swanson May 19, 2016 at 8:38 am

They could care less about the safety of 99.9999999% of women. They just want the LGBT vote and this fight helps lock that in for decades. Unless your a minority or something strange, you don’t matter.

• Reply biglittlejoe May 18, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Every time I see an article about same sex couples, gay people, transgender people, cross dressers, gay marriage, or people coming out of the closet, it reminds me about the time that I came out of the closet…erm…actually it reminds me about the time that I was forced to come out of the closet …running like the wind!

I’m alive today because coming out of the closet saved my life…literally!!!

It was an ordinary day. Not much going on. My neighbor’s daughter invited me to her house to have a few beers. She was a hot little number. About twenty something! After having a few beers, we started to get a little frisky with each other but her father was about to come home so she and I went into the walk in closet. We lost track of time because we were a little buzzed. We were getting pretty hot and heavy and I guess a little bit too noisy when out of the blue, the door opens! Her father found us in there!!!. He was mad!!!! I was caught with my pants and my underwear halfway down my ankles like a deer in headlights. He yelled “I WARNED YOU BOY THAT IF YOU EVER CAME NEAR MY DAUGHTER I WAS GOING TO BLAST YOU WITH MY SHOTGUN!!!”” Then when he went to get his shot gun, I came out of that closet flying with my pants half way down to my ankles! Fell down on my face a couple of times but I got up just as quick still with my pants around my ankles and flew like the wind!!!!

I have never run so fast in my entire life! He couldn’t see my dust!!

He missed peppering me with that shotgun blast by a hair!

I will never forget coming out of that closet!!!

That was close!!!

Coming out of the closet really saved my life!!!

• Reply Kevin55 May 18, 2016 at 10:14 pm

“Supposedly, this legislature is meant to protect young women from male predators, despite the fact that there are no reported cases in existence of a transgender person attacking anyone in a bathroom.”

There doesn’t need to be evidence of a transgender person attacking someone in a restroom. There is already plenty of evidence of men PRETENDING TO BE transgenders assaulting women in restrooms. Opening the door to transgenders, opens the door to any sexual predator who only need to falsely claim he is a transgender.

“What AFA and other bigots don’t realize is that they would be doing more damage by not letting transgender people use the restroom in coordination with their gender.”

Which gender are you referring to, biological or psychological? Transgenders have always been allowed to use the restroom in coordination with the gender God gave them, just like the rest of the population. How is that bigoted?

• Reply Gary Cruzman May 18, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Personally, I will no longer shop at Target. This matter should also be allowed to make its way through the courts (an inevitability). before companies begin imposing a policy to which opposes our societal norms…

• Reply Pao Meio May 18, 2016 at 10:59 pm

oh no, someone has the fear of sharing the bathroom with a ‘deviant’, Imagine these poor transgender folks, who constantly have to walk on eggshells, and fear for their own safety, where dying face down in a gutter is real possibility. You cannot even bring yourself to let them ‘handle their business’ in a dignified manner?

Honestly I’d be more worried about drug addicts and criminals trying to pass themselves off as legitimate individuals, but no, nono these types can climb to staggering heights, then cause tremendous calamities to people they’ve never even met.

The real enemy are the sociopaths, and sociopaths know no boundries. Why is the ratio of sociopaths to politicians so disproportionately high? Because politicians don’t see people, they see issues and potential points to be scored.

• Reply Art Jackson May 19, 2016 at 1:03 am

It would probably be helpful if people writing about the issue stopped setting up straw men fallacies to knock down in ridicule of others objections or worries. This article provides a fine example of a straw man set up: “AFA called for a boycott against Target because “Target’s policy is exactly how sexual predators get access to their victims” that has over 1.2 million signatures. Supposedly, this legislature is meant to protect young women from male predators, despite the fact that there are no reported cases in existence of a transgender person attacking anyone in a bathroom.” which equates the terms “sexual predator” and “transgender”. That is, the ARTICLE WRITER equates those terms, not the AFA, and does so as a statement essentially saying that because no transgender have been documented attacking a young woman, no sexual predator ever has either. Deliberately dismissing other people’s thoughts by ignoring them to attack what you pretend they said instead of what they said is not only counterproductive and disrespectful, it convinces them –and a number of other people– that you care about no one and nothing but yourself and your particular agenda.

• Reply J May 19, 2016 at 6:32 am

How about a new Target slogan?

At Target we go beyond PC – we’re PF = Pedophile-Friendly!

Where pedophiles and Perverts can feel free to browse!

• Reply dakillajoe May 19, 2016 at 8:11 am

Target in their Zeal to be P C , forgot their Demographic was Mainstream NORMAL America, NOT 00.3 % of Mentally Challenged critters who Think they aren’t the Sex they really are ! Their Net Worth has gone Down Since the Nationwide BOYCOTT has begun and will continue to Plummet !